Name of product: Kidde fire extinguishers with plastic handles
Hazard: The fire extinguishers can become clogged or require excessive force to discharge and can fail to activate during a fire emergency. In addition, the nozzle can detach with enough force to pose an impact hazard.
Recall date: November 2, 2017
Recall number: 18-022
Units: About 37.8 million (in addition, 2.7 million in Canada)
Description: This recall involves two styles of Kidde fire extinguishers: plastic handle fire extinguishers and push-button Pindicator fire extinguishers.
Plastic handle fire extinguishers: The recall involves 134 models of Kidde fire extinguishers manufactured between January 1, 1973 and August 15, 2017, including models that were previously recalled in March 2009 and February 2015.
The extinguishers were sold in red, white and silver, and are either ABC- or BC-rated.
- The model number is printed on the fire extinguisher label.
- For units produced in 2007 and beyond, the date of manufacture is a 10-digit date code printed on the side of the cylinder, near the bottom.
- Digits five through nine represent the day and year of manufacture in DDDYY format.
- Date codes for recalled models manufactured from January 2, 2012 through August 15, 2017 are 00212 through 22717.
- For units produced before 2007, a date code is not printed on the fire extinguisher.
Kidde toll-free at 855-271-0773 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. ET Saturday and Sunday, or online at www.kidde.com and click on “Product Safety Recall” for more information.