Remember, as a supervisor, you need to ensure the person who performs the JHA can apply the 5 basic risk factors of hazard identification, described by the acronym PEMEP (People, Equipment, Materials, Environment, Process). Use this quiz to see how well they understand these 5 risk factors.
Scenario: A welder suffers severe burns in an explosion ignited by his welding torch. Factors in the injury:
- The welder was cutting a barrel previously used to contain solvents.
- Solvents are a source of combustible vapors.
- Welding torches are a potential ignition source.
- Vapors are denser and more combustible in the air inside the plant.
- Company safety procedure required doing the job outside.
1: Which of the PEMEP risk factors contributed to the injury?
F. All the aboveAnswer: F – All 5 of the PEMEP risk factors had a role in causing the explosion.
2: The presence of combustible vapors inside a solvent barrel is what kind of risk factor?
Answer: C – Combustible vapors were produced by the solvent, one of the materials used in the plant. Go to SafeSupervisor.com for more quiz questions to test your PEMEP knowledge