This Hazard Assessment Checklist organizes the factors an ergonomics hazard assessment should cover into 8 groups:
- Manual Materials Handling considers lifting and handling of loads.
- Physical Energy Demands addresses the risks involved with exertion applied by workers to perform tasks.
- Other Musculoskeletal Demands considers potential hazards from things like work posture, bending and twisting, changes of position and contraction of limbs.
- Environment addresses the physical conditions of the workplace, including lighting, noise levels, vibration and circulation of air.
- General Workplace considers the state of housekeeping as well as the presence of obstructions, fall risks and clearance.
- Tools looks at tool weight, grip, vibration, kickback, etc.
- Gloves factors weigh the protective benefits as well as whether gloves require the worker to exert more force and/or subject him/her to additional hazards such as snagging on catch points.
- Administration looks at the organization of work tasks, including time pressures, margins for error and the adequacy of breaks.
How to Do an Ergonomics Hazards Assessment
Adapt and use this Hazards Assessment to determine areas of potential and existing ergonomic and materials handling concerns.
|MANUAL MATERIALS HANDLING||Y||N|
|Is there lifting of loads, tools or parts?|
|Is there lowering of loads, tools or parts?|
|Is there overhead reaching for loads, tools or parts?|
|Is there bending at the waist to handle loads, tools or parts?|
|Is there twisting at the waist to handle loads, tools or parts?|
|PHYSICAL ENERGY DEMANDS||Y||N|
|Do tools and parts weigh more than 10 lbs.?|
|Is reaching greater than 20 inches?|
|Is bending, stooping or squatting a primary task activity?|
|Is lifting or lowering loads a primary task activity?|
|Is walking or carrying loads a primary task activity?|
|Is stair or ladder climbing with loads a primary task activity?|
|Is pushing or pulling loads a primary task activity?|
|Is reaching overhead a primary task activity?|
|Do any of the above tasks require 5 or more complete work cycles to be done within a minute?|
|Do workers complain about the lack of rest breaks and fatigue allowances?|
|OTHER MUSCULOSKELETAL DEMANDS||Y||N|
|Do manual jobs require frequent, repetitive motions?|
|Do work postures require frequent bending of the neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist or finger joints?|
|For seated work, do reaches for tools and materials exceed 15 inches from the worker’s position?|
|Is the worker unable to change positions frequently?|
|Does the work involve forceful, quick or sudden motions?|
|Does the work involve shock or rapid buildup of forces?|
|Is finger-pinch gripping used?|
|Do job postures involve sustained muscle contraction of any limb?|
|Is the temperature too hot or too cold?|
|Are workers’ hands exposed to temperatures below 70° F?|
|Is the workplace poorly lit?|
|Is there glare?|
|Is there excessive noise that’s annoying, distracting or capable of causing hearing loss?|
|Is there upper extremity vibration?|
|Is there whole-body vibration?|
|Is air circulation too high or too low?|
|Are walkways uneven, slippery or obstructed?|
|Is housekeeping poor?|
|Is there inadequate clearance or accessibility for performing tasks?|
|Are stairs cluttered?|
|Do stairs lack railings?|
|Is improper footwear worn?|
|Are handles too small or too large?|
|Does the handle shape cause operator to bend the wrist to use the tool?|
|Is the tool hard to access?|
|Does the tool weigh more than 9 pounds?|
|Does the tool vibrate excessively?|
|Does the tool cause excessive kickback to the operator?|
|Does the tool become too hot or too cold?|
|Do the gloves require the worker to use more force to perform job tasks?|
|Do the gloves provide adequate protection?|
|Do the gloves present a hazard of catch points on the tool or in the workplace?|
|Is there little worker control over the work process?|
|Is the task highly repetitive and monotonous?|
|Does the job involve critical tasks with high accountability and little to no tolerance for error?|
|Are work hours and breaks poorly organized?|